Welcome to the third installment of "7 Questions with…" — a short interview feature where I put the spotlight on a client or fellow business owner. Hopefully we'll learn a bit about them, their services, and some business & marketing advice along the way. This time around it's Iain MacKay answering my questions.
7 Questions with Iain MacKay
1) Who are you, and what do you do?
Iain MacKay…Managing Director of IM Training, an Ayrshire based professional Health, Safety and Care Training service.
2) When did you start the business?
3) What prompted you to start up this type of business?
I now have over 30 years' experience of working for local, national and international companies and it was time to use all the knowledge gained to give something back and develop skills of those just starting their careers.
4) What do you think sets you apart?
Apart from being affordable, I excel at building long-term business relationships through trust and understanding…my clients want me back time and time again.
5) How do you market yourself?
I have an excellent website (built by Dark Flare Design) but people buy from people they like so I always try to meet face to face, supplemented by that modern stuff called "social media", which is proving very successful. I'm a member of Ayrshire Chamber of Commerce and the Referral Exchange. Periodically I go to other networking events and exhibitions.
6) Do you have any advice for other businesses?
Get it done correctly at the start, in particular logo design and don't go "hell for leather" until you are ready to operate properly. Be careful not to spend all your marketing budget in the first few months as you need momentum to be sustainable.
7) What has your experience been working with Dark Flare Design?Iain Fergus was a great help to me as I had never had a website before. He delivered what he promised…on budget, on time and all during the process he kept me informed. I still go back to Iain for advice when running advertising campaigns for support which he gives me willingly, promptly and jargon/fuss free. I would recommend Dark Flare Design to anyone.
As an attendee of one of Iain's first aid courses I can say that not only is he clearly knowledgeable and experienced in providing professional training services, he is also able to make them his courses engaging and fun too. You can find out more about Iain's services on the IM Training website and follow him on Facebook and Twitter.
Do you have any advice you'd like to add? If you'd like to share your thoughts, please leave a comment below, or contact me.
Thanks for reading!